Thursday, December 10, 2015

Chicken Potstickers

Okay, before I start, let me share a teeny-tiny confession. I've never ever eaten chicken potstickers before. In fact, I've never eaten ANY potstickers period. The essential of potstickers is wonton wrapping with any sort of filling, THAT, I've eaten. I've eaten fried wonton, wonton soup and lots of variants of cooking of dumplings. It is dumpling, in simpler English for the rest of us fellow wonton-virgin.


Dumplings have many name and different fillings. Depending on which part of the world you are from, it can be called 'gyoza' (Japan) or 'mandu' (Korea) or 'jiaozi' (China). The filling can be pure meat to vegetarian. Since I'm partial to chicken (period), I'm making chicken potstickers.


Since this is the first time I'm making it, please excuse the way I wrap the wonton. It's terrible-looking, I know. And, another confession here, I didn't make the wonton itself. It is purely store-bought and servicable. In fact, the chicken potstickers turned up DIVINE!

Chicken Potstickers


Serving: 2-3 persons

Potstickers Ingredients
  • 14 wonton wrappers (I read wonton-professionals recommending thicker wonton skin, but hey, I used what I found at the store)
  • Half chicken breast (minced, or you can buy pre-made chicken mince. I minced it myself)
  • 5g of ginger (or half teaspoon of ginger paste as I'll make a paste out of the ginger)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 3 stalks of cilantro/coriander
  • 1 large Napa cabbage leaf
  • 1/4 tablespoon of sesame oil
  • Salt to taste
  • White pepper to taste
  • Oil for pan frying
  • 1 cup of water for steaming
Dipping Sauce Ingredients 
  • 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
  • 3 birds eye chillies
Cooking Method
  1. Put wonton wrapper outside in room temperature.
  2. Mince the chicken breast.
  3. Chop the cilantro/coriander and Napa cabbage leaf finely. Add salt to chopped Napa cabbage leaf  and set it aside for at least 10 minutes. Then, squeeze out the excess water out of the chopped Napa cabbage.
  4. Make a paste out of the ginger and garlic.
  5. Mix the minced chicken, chopped vegetables, ginger-garlic paste, salt, white pepper and sesame oil.
  6. Fill in the wonton wrapper by putting a good amount of mixture in the middle of the wonton and seal the wonton. Again, I'm sorry, I can't tell you the best method of sealing the wonton since this is also my first time LOL. I just followed my instinct (and the multiple wonton-sealing method videos on Youtube).
  7. Coat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil. Arrange the filled wontons on the frying pan.
  8. Fry the wontons on medium heat until the bottom turns brown.
  9. Add 1 cup of water into the pan and cover the pan (you are basically steaming the potstickers so that the filling will be cooked to perfection). The wontons will be cooked in around 10 to 15 minutes, until the water evaporated. 
  10. In the meantime, make the dipping sauce by adding all the ingredients together! Remember to chop the chillies first! 

See, it is very easy! I'm making this again for dinner and eating them with steamed rice. So divine! Eat them while they are hot.

Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Enter My Lair. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino